Avoiding emails without Subject?28 Apr 2011
More often than not I used to compile a fantastic mail to send to my colleagues (even managers) in office and just after clicking "Send" button, it used to strike me that I have missed mentioning the subject. So, I requested few friends on Infosys internal blogs to send me the script for Outlook. And Nikhil Kurien mailed me the requested piece of code. It was back in 2007. I was just cleaning up my mails and thought it would be better if I keep it on my blog as it would make it easy for me to access it whenever I wish rather than searching for the mail. So, here are the steps that we need to follow:-
1. Open your outlook
2. Press Alt+F11 (this opens the Visual Basic editor)
3. On the Left Pane you'll see "Microsoft Outlook Objects", expand this. Now one can see the "ThisOutLookSession".
4. Click on "ThisOutLookSession".
5. Copy and Paste the following code in the right pane. (Code Pane)
Private Sub Application_ItemSend(ByVal Item As Object, Cancel As Boolean)
Dim strSubject As String
strSubject = Item.Subject
If Len(strSubject) = 0 Then
Prompt$ = "Subject is Empty. Are you sure you want to send the Mail?"
If MsgBox(Prompt$, vbYesNo + vbQuestion + vbMsgBoxSetForeground, "Check for Subject") = vbNo Then
Cancel = True
6. Save this and now close the VB Code editor and take a breath. From now on, this macro will make sure you do not make the mistake of sending an email without subject.